Archive for August 8th, 2022

August 8th, 2022 - 11:29 pm § in Business, Politics

Not Made In USA

Lions Not Sheep (website here) is a Utah company selling rightwing (I won’t call it “patriotic”) apparel. The company and its owner, Sean Whalen (photo, left; not the actor of the same name) were just fined by the Federal Trade Commission for cutting off “Made in China”[...]

August 8th, 2022 - 11:02 pm § in America, Democrats, Politics

How undemocratic is the Senate?

Twenty-five states have 84% of the U.S. population. Of the 50 U.S. senators representing those states, 29 are Democrats and 21 are Republicans. The other 25 states have 16% of the population. Of the 50 senators representing them, 29 are Republicans and 21 are Democrats. The 50 Democratic senators w[...]

August 8th, 2022 - 8:26 pm § in Law and Courts

Can Gabby Petito’s family sue the police?

Murder victim Gabby Petito‘s family has filed a $50 million wrongful death lawsuit against the Moab, Utah, police officers who responded to an altercation between her and her fiance on August 12, 2021, CBS News reported on Monday, August 8, 2022 (read story here). She disappeared later that mo[...]

August 8th, 2022 - 6:15 pm § in Donald Trump

Trump prefers military parades without veterans

Trump likes military parades. He reportedly wanted tanks and missiles in his inauguration parade, but the Pentagon nixed the idea because tanks would destroy the streets (see story here). What he didn’t want was wounded veterans in his big military parade. “Look, I don’t want any wound[...]

August 8th, 2022 - 5:34 pm § in Politics

What’s next, fourth trimester abortions?

Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) thinks so. In a fundraising email to supporters on Monday, August 8, 2022, he warned, “If we don’t take back the Senate, Dems will pack the courts, give DC statehood, grant abortions up to 52 weeks, and Republicans will never win again.” See that and several othe[...]

August 8th, 2022 - 5:02 pm § in Health

Did Covid-19 turn America into a nation of alcoholics?

A lot of Americans apparently picked up boozing habits while stuck in their homes during the pandemic, according to the Daily Mail, a U.K.-based tabloid (see story here). Their source is vaguely-described studies. One of these showed “at-home drinking ‘spiked’ in 2020 and held strong in 20[...]

August 8th, 2022 - 3:43 pm § in Misc.

Pension plans (video)

Yeah, but Army recruiters don’t tell you how stressful the work is. Return to The-Ave.US Home Page[...]